Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lentil experiments, part II: bread

As I wrote in the previous post, I saved half the lentil-paste to make bread. I used a bit of lukewarm water to dissolve a pack of dry yeast, added some olive oil, salt, the paste, and enough flour to make a soft dough. I kneaded that for around 15-20 minutes. It's easier if you have a bread machine, but kneading is a good exercise for the grip, i.e. good for climbing :-)
Then I let that rise until almost double in size, punched it down, and made a loaf. I gave it around 10 minutes for a second rise and put it in the (hot) oven.

It's ready when tapping on the crust with your finger sounds hollow.

I let it cool for 5 minutes covered by a towel, just enough time to write this post. I cut a couple of slices (you can see the corner slice is already missing). It tastes good, more interesting than simple bread. The lentil and ginger flavors are definitely there, and the olive oil in the dough adds too.
I'm now going to have some hot bread with butter...

No comments: