Monday, March 30, 2009

Bagels

I started to make more bread yesterday. After the dough had risen once, I punched it down and was about to make a loaf, when I had a crazy idea. I haven't had a bagel since I last was in the US.

So, I rolled some dough into small balls instead, and then made a one-inch hole in each. I smoothed them and set them aside. Then I put an inch of water with a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar in a frying pan, and boiled it. I dropped the bagels in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes, and then put them in the oven for another 25 minutes.

Here they are, my own bagels, fresh and hot out of the oven. These are with whole wheat, rye, and multi-grain flour (with various nuts and sesame). No yeast, just my sourdough starter, but they weren't sour at all. Next time I'll try white wheat flour with cinnamon and raisins, or maybe rye with poppy seeds. I'm definitely going to repeat this experiment.

No comments: