Friday, October 3, 2008

Dinner for 5: preparation

Tomorrow I have invited some friends for dinner (not the same people). I'm making Stifado, ala Polyvios (somewhat improvised)

Marinade:
  • 2 sp sugar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • about 2 cups wine - I didn't measure it really, I just used whatever was left in a couple bottles from previous dinners.
  • 4-5 cloves
  • 1 sp red wine vinegar
  • a pinch of cinnamon - a piece of cinnamon would have been better, but I only have ground cinnamon now
  • 1-2 sp. salt - yes I know it sounds too much, but i'll throw away the marinade tomorrow and keep only the meat
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil - it's too little I know, but I don't want the meat to be oiled too much, that'll prevent the alcohol from the wine to interact with the meat and bring out the smells and flavors. Maybe next time I won't use any oil in the marinade.
  • 1 rabbit - Yes, bunny rabbit. I'm eating Bugs Bunny! Yummy!

Prep:
  1. Mix everything except the rabbit in a saucepan and warm up a bit, until everything dissolves. Set it aside.
  2. Cut the rabbit into portions, here's what I did: Each leg (with shoulder) is one piece, lower back (between the back legs) is one small piece, the middle back is one piece (cut perpendicular to the spine), the ribcage is two pieces (also cut perpendicular to the spine, with care not to break the ribs), and the head & neck is one piece. I also kept the liver and kindeys, I'll either put them in, or make paté, I'm still thinking about it. I threw away the lungs. You don't have to cut through bone at all, cut the flesh, and break the bones/spine by hand, then cut the rest of the flesh. I took care, cause I don't have a bone-knife, and I didn't want to harm the chef's knife I use (THANKS FOR THE KNIFES!)
  3. Put the pieces of meat in the marinade, so that it's (mostly) covered. Put in the fridge. Goodnight, we continue tomorrow.
Oh wait, I also prepared some sorbet:
Warm up water and dissolve a cup of sugar in it (a lot of water, I made a full teapot, or one big tupperware container of sorbet). Let it cool. Add juice of 1 or 2 lemons (I added 1.5, saved half a lemon in the fridge for tomorrow), also 2-3 shots worth of rose-water (I didn't count, but it was around that). Also add a bit of raki (and have a shot for yourself)--I was generous with the raki, but carefull cause alcohol lowers the melting temperature... Put in the freezer, and stir every now and then, to stop big chunks of ice from forming. It gets to be like snow(?) if all goes well.

Ok, goodnight, we continue tomorrow...

No comments: