Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vegetarian soup

On Tuesday I made vegetable soup.
  • 1 beet
  • 1 leek
  • 1 potato
  • tomato purée
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1tsp salt, pinch of pepper, curry
  • 2tbsp olive oil
  • water
I peeled the potato and the beet and cut them in 1inch cubes. Chopped and washed the leek. Put everything in a pot with water, and let boil for a while (until potato and beet were soft and done). Then I kept the liquid through a sieve, and put the solids in a dish. I put the potato pieces, the beet pieces, and a bit of milk in the blender, and blended them to a thick crème. I added this in the liquid left in the pot and set it on low heat. Then I added the tomato purée (about half a box, ready made). I didn't have fresh tomatoes, but 2-3 tomatoes in the blender would probably be better, I'll try it next time. Added 1tsp of salt, a pinch of curry and a pinch of pepper, and stirred until it boiled, then I added 2tbsp of olive oil and let it boil for a couple of minutes more. It tasted good, I think.

I might try to serve it to other people next time for feedback. I think a nice presentation will be to put the soup in cups, add a spoon of crème fraîche in the middle of each cup, and a bit of fresh parsley on top of that. I poured the soup left into an empty wide-neck orange juice bottle, capped it an put it in the fridge. Took it to work the next day, it was a nice lunch, and very nice for the chilly weather, too. I'll have to find something to do with the boiled leek that is left, I didn't want to blend it with the beet and potato. I think I might use it as a filling to make a pita (as soon as I get a roller to make phylo).

A funny detail: I poured the soup in the bottle while it was still hot, and capped it. That caused the metal-cap security seal went inwards as the soup cooled down, and the next day it went "pop" as I uncapped it, as if it was bought. Heh.

2 comments:

see said...

Beets are funky entities. I never thought of putting them in a soup. But you can use them in desserts, which is also kind of weird. I've done it and they provide a healthy source of sugar (I know, I know, healthy--whatever) and a natural source of color! You could try using them for color in your sorbet.

polyvios said...

Cool idea! I was about to make some beet juice to use to decorate dishes before serving, but I didn't think of beets to color the sorbet. I will try, and will keep you posted. Thanks! :-)