Sunday, April 12, 2009

Carrot pasta

Remember the carrot leftovers from making all that stock? I puréed the carrots (peeled) in the food processor, and spooned it over about 2 to 3 cups of flour. I added two eggs, salt, and kneaded until I got a nice, soft, orange dough (add more flour if necessary, depending on how much water is in the carrots).

I put the dough in a plastic bag in the fridge to rest for an hour or so, and then it's ready to make pasta!

I rolled some dough thin, and cut it into tagliatelle.

Then, I laid the tagliatelle to dry overnight. Unfortunately, making tagliatelle was a bit time-consuming to do by hand. Maybe I should invest in a "pasta-rolling and cutting" machine (probably an inexpensive hand-operated one) for next time.

Too bored to roll the rest of the dough, I pulled the rest turned into shells (like thin gnocchi) as I showed in a previous post. I let the shells dry overnight with enough flour to avoid sticking, and put them in the freezer next morning.

The tagliatelle had also dried by next day.

Tagliatelle al forno

Here's how I cooked the tagliatelle the next day. Very fast and tasty.

Boil the tagliatelle for a couple of minutes, and drain them. At the same time, chop some mushrooms.

Sauté the mushrooms in a spoon of olive oil and mix them with the pasta. Top it with bits of reblochon cheese (rind side up), and ladle a bit of the water where you boiled the pasta over everything. Finally, put everything in a hot oven for 10 minutes.

Reblochon is a creamy cheese with a lot of flavor, and it melted quickly all over the pasta: Très bon!

No comments: